Sunday 8 June 2014

LS-32 Refresh Kits

When I got my Astro City cab, it was fitted with 2 Seimitsu LS-32 joysticks. The sticks were well past their best, and the player 1 stick was almost unusable due to rust on the spring, and a lack of any sort of lubricant to stop the plastic grinding on other parts. I initially just bought a couple of new sticks and fitted them, but kept the old ones as I had seen these refresh kits being sold on arcade forums. I decided to try them out as they were only £6 each delivered, as opposed to £20~ for a new stick. A few days later they arrive, here's one in it's bag:


I disassembled one of the joysticks by removing the mounting plate, then removing the circlip which caused an explosion of joysticks parts to fly everywhere. These are the parts I took out, have a look at the rust on the spring for an idea as to why it was so bad to use.


After putting the stick back together with the new parts and adding a dab of lubricant it really does feel like a new stick. I was quite surprised at how well it actually worked, and would definitely recommend these kits if you have any rusty old LS-32's lay around.

No comments:

Post a Comment